What Kind of Insurance Should Food Delivery Drivers Have?

Oct 1, 2018

It’s no secret that we as a society, especially as consumers, are glued to our phones. In fact, a recent survey of 2,000 Americans showed that we check our phones on average 80 times a day, with some checking their phones up to 300 times a day. You may be checking your phone while you read this. With this in mind, new mobile-based companies have boomed in recent years and have altered the way we communicate, date, work, study, buy and eat things.

With this in mind, companies have jumped on the opportunity to boost their business and spread out into other services like Uber, which started out as a ride-sharing company and now offers food delivery. Or GrubHub, which initially offered food delivery from local businesses, now offers extensive options to grab dinner from any major chain. But this on-the-go industry has also affected the people working within it, the delivery drivers; specifically, it has put into question how they get their insurance and what kind of insurance they need.

Personal Insurance Policy

It’s more than likely that a driver’s personal insurance policy does not cover them in the scope of their food delivery job. Food delivery has always been a risky business, but with this newer landscape of delivery service (i.e. tech-driven delivery companies) there is even more risk. From traffic jams to fender benders, pedestrian incidents to backing into fire hydrants, the same risks that daily commuters face are there for delivery drivers. So, who gets the blame and who pays the price?

A personal insurance policy is simply that: personal, not business. Delivering food for Uber or GrubHub or Postmates or the pizza shop down the street are not classified as personal. Why? Well, insurers know that drivers operating their vehicles for commercial use spend a lot of time on the road, which means higher risk overall, which ultimately means more out of pocket for the company.

Getting Insured

There are options for delivery contract drivers looking to supplement their insurance and stay protected on the road. Some employers do provide coverage known as hired and non-owned vehicle liability insurance for their drivers when they use their personal vehicles for work-related activities (mostly deliveries).

One common choice is to go the commercial auto insurance route, which provides liability and physical damage protection for vehicles that are used for business purposes. However, this coverage is designed for vehicles owned by a business, typically company cars and fleets. Though employees driving their own vehicles for work purposes are not covered by Commercial Auto insurance, they can still be held liable for damages caused on these errands, making another form of insurance necessary.

Because many food delivery workers utilize their own personal vehicles for their work, this becomes a Hired and Non-owned coverage exposure rather than a Commercial Auto liability, and we recommend that a food courier use HNO coverage. Whether the worker is a full-time employee or an independent contractor, their employer will be liable for any accidents or damages that occur during their work, and our exclusive program can provide coverage to both types of workers.

The Jencap Transportation/Garage Insurance Team

The Jencap Transportation/Garage Insurance Team

If your risk has wheels, Jencap’s transportation and garage team has a broad range of insurance solutions for you. Our industry-leading underwriters are always imagining what’s ahead of the curve in the transportation industry and ready to combat any current or future challenges that may exist in the marketplace.
auto insurance | commercial auto insurance | commercial auto liability insurance | delivery drivers | food delivery drivers | hired non-owned drivers insurance program | HNO coverage | independent contractor



Jencap Professional Lines Insurance

Garage Gurus: Garage Coverage Explained

Garage Insurance is one of the most commonly misunderstood lines of coverage. Jencap’s expert brokers are ready to clear up the confusion. We’ve parked answers to all of your Garage Insurance questions here.

TRENDS | Q2 2022 | 3 MINUTES


Behind the Wheel with Roman Atkielski

The last mile delivery market is expected to grow by $165B between now and 2027 and almost $62B in North America alone. This trend is influenced by the growing global e-commerce market which will be more and more prevalent. The most complicated, most expensive, and most important step to any delivery is that last mile that gets the package to its final destination.





Whether in-transit or in a garage, Jencap has your clients’ transportation-related risks covered. With more than three decades of experience in the transportation and garage insurance niche, Jencap’s dedicated team of underwriters give you the competitive edge you need to secure winning coverage for your clients. With our quick indications, quotes, and binders, you’ll keep your clients’ businesses rolling full speed ahead.

Stay Informed

Want to receive information from Jencap on timely marketplace trends, hot new product and program launches, and valuable product expertise that will set you up to win? Sign up below to receive email communications from Jencap.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.